Malabar Spinach (1)
Sesame Oil (dark)
Prep - (25 min)
RUN - (12 min)
- Rinse MALABAR SPINACH well. Remove leaves and tender tips
from stems. Tear large leaves into smaller pieces. Keep stems
separate. Use all stems that snap off cleanly, and some a bit
larger if you need too. Snap stems into lengths of 1 inch at the
thick end to 1-1/2 inch or more at the tender end.
- Slice BEEF across the grain about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into
strips about 1/2 inch wide by 2 inches long.
- Slice MUSHROOMS into strips of similar size to the Beef.
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine.
- Mix all Sauce items.
- Make a slurry of Potato Starch and Water.
- In a wok, heat Sesame Oil over moderate heat and fry
Garlic, stirring until just aromatic. Stir in Beef and
fry stirring until all raw color is gone and most exuded liquid has
evaporated. Keep the heat moderate.
- Stir in Spinach Stems and Mushrooms fry stirring for
about 4 minutes more, still over moderate heat.
- Stir in Spinach Leaves over high heat. Tumble until coated
with oil, then stir in Sauce mix. Bring up to a boil quickly
and tumble until the leaves wilt - don't overcook or it will become
- Push the ingredients up the sides of the wok. Stir up the Starch
Slurry and pour it into the center. Stir until it starts to
thicken, then stir the ingredients together until well coated.
- Serve hot with rice (Japanese rice is medium grain).