Click to Enlarge
Potato & Onion Curry
India - Tari Aloo
A simple light main or side and a popular brunch dish through
much of India. Chunks of potato float in an aromatic onion sauce with
just a touch of chili. This dish is reheatable.
Chili powder (2)
Channa Dal (4)
PREP - (20 min)
RUN - (30 min)
- Peel POTATOES and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Pring to a boil
in salted water to cover until they are just cooked through.
- Chop ONION small. Mix with Potatoes.
- Chop CHILI and GINGER fine. Mix.
- Grind CORIANDER and mix with Turmeric and
- Squeeze LEMON JUICE.
- Chop CILANTRO medium for garnish.
- Heat Oil and stir in Mustard Seeds. When the seeds
are popping well, stir in the Channa Dal and fry stirring until
dal turns golden. Reduce heat and stir in Chili/Ginger Mix.
Fry stirring about 2 minutes.
- Stir in Turmeric mix for just a moment, then Potato
mix. Fry stirring and scraping the bottom to prevent burning
until onions start to color (or it becomes too difficult to scrape
- Add 2 cups Water and Salt to taste. Simmer covered
for about 15 minutes. Crush a few potato pieces to thicken the
- Taste for salt, then stir in Lemon Juice and take off heat.
Serve garnished with Cilantro
- Potatoes: "All purpose" potatoes
like White Rose work very well. Waxy boilers may remain too firm,
russets will disintegrate too much, and Yukon Gold type potatoes
will turn to mush if cooked a bit long. For details see our
- Chili Powder: This should be a very
mild chili powder like Kashmir, or use paprika.
- Oil: I have cut the oil to less than
half what the original recipe specified - less rich but more appropriate
to our "information culture". Pure Olive Oil (not virgin) will work
- Chana Dal: This is split and peeled
Chickpeas (the Indian ones are smaller than ours). If you don't have them
you can get away without them.
- U.S. measure: t=teaspoon,
T=Tablespoon, c=cup, qt=quart, oz=ounce,
#=pound, cl=clove in=inch, ar=as required
imv_potatoonion1 040724 r 090404 cic260 - www.clovegarden.com
©Andrew Grygus - email@example.com - Linking to and
non-commercial use of this page is permitted.