(click to enlarge)
Cauliflower Potato & Pea Curry
India - North Central (Uttar Pradesh)
- Gobi Matar Rasedar
| 4 main
||Cauliflower is of European origin and a luxury item in most
of India, so many fine cauliflower recipes have been developed there. This
one is particularly flavorful and goes very well with chapatis or similar
breads. If you can't find Indian breads, whole wheat tortillas are an
excellent substitute, or serve with steamed basmati rice.
Peas, frozen (2)
Chili powder (3)
Oil or ghee
PREP - (25 min)
RUN - (40 min)
- Break CAULIFLOWER into medium florets, Cut any stems into 1/4
- Peel POTATOES and cut into cubes about 3/4 inch on a side.
- Thaw PEAS if frozen.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and chop very fine.
- Grind Coriander and Cumin. Mix with Chili Powder
- Heat Oil in a kadhai, wok or spacious sauté pan and stir
in Cumin Seeds until they are highly aromatic and start to darken
just a shade. Stir in the Spice mix with just a momentary swirl,
then the Tomatoes. Continue to fry stirring until nearly dry and
oil starts to separate.
- Sir in Cauliflower and Potatoes until thoroughly coated
with sauce, then Stir in 2-1/2 c Water and Salt. Bring to
a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer covered until vegetables are cooked
through, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in Peas and simmer another 2 minutes or so.
- Garnish with chopped Cilantro.and serve warm along with warm
chapatis or similar bread - or serve with plenty of steamed Basmati rice.
- Potatoes: Medium potatoes like White
Rose produce good results in this dish, staying intact but thickening
the stew a bit. For details see our
- Peas: In India these would be fresh
peas but we presume frozen peas here on a cost/benefit basis. If you do
use fresh peas put them in along with the Cauliflower.
- Chili Powder: Kashmir chili (quite mild)
is a good choice for this northern dish, or Korean (a little hotter) if
you don't have Kashmir. For details see our
- U.S. measure: t=teaspoon,
T=Tablespoon, c=cup, qt=quart, oz=ounce,
#=pound, cl=clove in=inch, ar=as required
imv_caulipotato2 r 110102 cic256 -
©Andrew Grygus - email@example.com - Linking to and
non-commercial use of this page is permitted.