(click to enlarge)
Masoor Lentils with Tomatoes
India - Bengal - Tomato Dhoney Pata Diye Masoor Dal
This is a quick, easy to make, but tasty and satisfying "weekday dish",
served with rice. It has rather low chili heat and moderate spicing.
Ripe Tomatoes (1)
Green Chili (2)
Masoor Dal (3)
PREP - (18 min)
RUN - (30 min)
- Cut TOMATOES into about 1/4 inch dice.
- Chop GREEN CHILI fine.
- Chop CILANTRO small for Garnish.
- In a sauce pan, heat Masoor Dal and 2-3/4 c Water
to a boil. Skim off any foam that rises.
- Stir in Green Chili, Turmeric and Salt.
Simmer about 15 minutes.
- Stir in Tomatoes, bring back to a boil and simmer another
- In a very small skillet, heat Ghee quite hot. Stir in
Cumin Seeds. When Cumin seeds are sputtering well, stir
Tempering into the pot.
- Serve hot, garnished with Cilantro. Accompany with long
grain rice (Basmati, Thai Jasmine, etc.).
- Tomatoes: These need to be very good
quality fully ripe tomatoes, for both taste and color. Get them from
a grower or Farmer's Market if possible. For details see our
- Green Chili: The hot green Jwala
chilis used in India are not much available even here in Los Angeles,
so we use Serranos. One will make this dish barely to mildly hot by
Southern California standards, depending on how hot the individual
chilis are (like all chilis they are quite variable). Feel free to
use two if you wish. For details see our
Indian Chilis page.
- Masoor Dal: This is bright orange
peeled and split Brown Masoor, available at any market serving an
Indian community. For details see our
Masoor & Red Lentils
- Ghee: Ghee is easily available in
markets serving an Indian community. Accept only Butter Ghee -
Vegetable Ghee is often trans fats. If you can't get (or can't accept)
butter ghee, use oil. Avocado Oil would be best but Pure Olive Oil
(not virgin) will work fine. For details see our
- U.S. measure: t=teaspoon,
T=Tablespoon, c=cup, qt=quart, oz=ounce,
#=pound, cl=clove in=inch, ar=as required
imp_mastom1 160914 bfsc70 - www.clovegarden.com
©Andrew Grygus - email@example.com - Linking to and
non-commercial use of this page is permitted.