Chicken meat (1)
Poppy seed, white
Chili, dried (3)
Black Cardamom (4)
Cinnamon stick (5)
Garam Masala (6)
Prep - (1 hr)
RUN - (1-3/4 hrs)
- Cut CHICKEN into chunks about 1-1/2 inches on a side, or
as desired, but not smaller - or you can use half joints (see
- Cut 4 oz ONION in half lengthwise and slice thin crosswise.
Chop 13 oz ONION fine (see Note-7). Mix.
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine. Slice GINGER very thin
and chop fine. Mix.
- Heat a tava or comal rather hot. Roast POPPY SEEDS stirring
until darkened by no more than a shade. Pour out on a plate to cool.
Split CASHEWS in half lengthwise (a thumbnail into the big
end will usually do it). Roast stirring until very lightly browned.
- Separately pound to a paste, Poppy seeds and Cashews.
Both must be crushed very well so they act as a thickener. Mix and
blend in 1/4 cup Yogurt so it doesn't clump.
- Dry pan roast Cumin Seed and grind to powder. Mix all
Spices items. They are left whole (except the Cumin and
Turmeric) and can be removed before serving.
- In a 5 quart sauté pan or heavy bottomed pot, heat
Oil. Stir in Onion mix and fry, stirring over
decreasing heat, until the Onions are lightly browned.
- Stir in Garlic mix and fry stirring for about 2 minutes
over moderate heat.
- Stir in Chicken and Spices mix. Fry stirring until
Chicken is lightly browned. Make sure the fond adhering to the pan
does not get too dark. It should be reddish. If it threatens to
go chocolate, go to the next step immediately.
- Stir in 3/4 c Yogurt and 2/3 cup water. Scrape up the fond
adhering to the pan. Cover tightly and simmer slowly, stirring now
and then, until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Check
liquid, the onions will absorb a lot.
- Chop CILANTRO for garnish. Squeeze LEMON JUICE.
- Stir in Poppy Seed mix, Garam Masala, Salt
and Lemon Juice. Adjust consistency with boiling water as
needed (sauce should not stick to the bottom of the pan). It should
be more liquid served with rice than with bread. Simmer about 5
- Serve hot, garnished with Cilantro.