Chicken meat (1)
Oil for frying
Black Cardamom (2)
Chili Powder (3)
PREP - (45 min)
RUN - (1 hr)
- Cut the CHICKEN into larger than bite sized chunks (they shrink)
or see Note-1. Fry in very hot oil until just barely
browned (joints and cut up whole chicken can be browned more). Deep
frying is easiest, but you can also pan fry. Fry in batches so the
chicken browns before it dries out - it doesn't take any longer than
frying all at once. Drain and set aside.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and chop very fine (food processor fine).
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice crosswise very thin.
- Crush GARLIC and chop very fine. Slice GINGER very thin
and chop very fine. Mix.
- Dry roast CUMINuntil aromatic. Cool and grind to powder.
- Don't forget to have you Chicken already fried.
- In a spacious sauté pan, heat 2 T Oil (you can use
chicken frying oil if it's not burned) and fry Onions, stirring
until golden. Stir in Cardamom and Cinnamon and fry a
couple minutes more, then stir in Garlic mix and fry stiring
until garlic starts to color.
- Stir in the Turmeric and Chili Powder for just a few
seconds, then stir in Tomatoes and Chicken. Add 1 cup
Water and Salt. Simmer slowly about 40 minutes.
- Check liquid and adjust as desired (more liquid for rice than for
- Let it rest for 1 hour to overnight if you have time. When ready to
serve, reheat, chop CILANTRO fine and stir it in along with