(click to enlarge)
Potato & Yogurt Salad
India - Aloo Rayta
|Raytas make wonderful side dishes to moderate spicy
Indian food. This one is more substantial (though a little less cooling)
than the Cucumber version and can serve
also as a low calory potato salad.
|Prep - (1-1/2 hr - 20 min work)
- Peel POTATOES and dice smallish. Put them in a pot with water
to cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until just cooked through. Drain
- Chop the ONION and CHILI fine. Mix.
- Chop the CILANTRO small.
- Grind Coriander Seeds.
- Squeeze Lemon Juice.
- In a sauté pan heat Oil and stir in Mustard
Seeds and Cumin Seeds. When the Mustard seeds are popping
well, stir in Onion mix. Fry stirring until the onions are
translucent, then turn off the heat.
- When the Onions have cooled a bit, stir in Potatoes until
well coated with the seeds. Let cool.
- When all is cold, stir in the Salt, Cilantro,
Coriander, Yogurt and Lemon Juice.
- Potatoes: General purpose potatoes
like White Rose, or red potatoes will work fine.
- Yogurt: Use a light, tart yogurt,
not a heavy or bland one.
- U.S. measure: t=teaspoon,
T=Tablespoon, c=cup, qt=quart, oz=ounce,
#=pound, cl=clove in=inch, ar=as required
igv_potatoyogurt1 040410 - www.clovegarden.com
©Andrew Grygus - email@example.com - Linking to and
non-commercial use of this page is permitted.