- Photo Gallery -
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C (see Note-2)
- Pierce POTATOES with a sharp skewer several times about 1 inch
apart and moderately deep to allow steam to escape.
- IF desired, rub Potatoes with Olive Oil. This is usually
done, but the photo specimens were done without oil. Oils other than
Olive can be used.
- IF desired, rub oiled Potatoes with kosher salt. This is
- Do Not wrap potatoes in foil (see Note-3).
- Set Potatoes on the top rack of the oven in a single layer
and bake until done, about 1 hour for an 8 oz potato. Check doneness
with a sharp skewer - it should pass through without hitting a stiff
spot in the center. The ideal finish temperature a the center of the
potato is 210°F/99°C.
- Potatoes can be held hot for 15 to 20 minutes before slitting, but
serve as soon as you can.
- Make a lengthwise cut on the top side and squeeze in from the ends
to open it. Fluff the innards with a fork.
- Serve immediately with butter, sour cream, or whatever topping you
desire (even just salt). Keep in mind that baked potatoes are not
fattening, but the toppings often can be.