Tiny Onions (1)
Chili Japones (3)
Olive Oil ExtV
Olive Oil ExtV
Prep - (40 min)
Run - (20 min)
- Bring plenty of water to a boil. Toss in the ONIONS for
just 1 minute, stirring them around, then quench in cold water. This
will make them easy to peel. Trim off just the tip of the stem end and
peel the papery layers back. Cut the minimum from the root end so they
don't come apart in cooking.
- Cut ZUCCHINIS depending on size. You want sticks between 1-1/2
and 2 inches long and fairly narrow (see Note-2).
- Cut FIGS into very small dice. Toss them in a pot of warm water
for about 10 minutes, then drain.
- Carve the skin and white rind from the LEMON. Break it apart
and separate the pulp from the membranes. Discard membranes and seeds
and chop the pulp fairly small. Add to the Figs.
- Chop MINT and CILANTRO small. Mix.
- Crush CARDAMOM pods (green or white) lightly to crack open and
strip out the seeds, discarding the husks. Break tops off Chilis
and shake out the seeds. Discard seeds and add Chilis to the Cardamom.
- In a spacious sauté pan, place Onions and all Sauce
items. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. stirring
now and then.
- Stir in Zucchini and Tomato Paste. Bring back to a boil
and simmer covered over low flame about 4 minutes, turning frequently.
You want the Zucchini to still have some crispness and the seeds to
stay attached to the sticks.
- Stir in 2 T Olive Oil, make sure there is enough water and
bring to a high boil for about 1 minute uncovered to blend the oil
with the sauce.
- Stir in Figs and Lemon and take off the heat.
- When ready to serve, pull out bay leaves and chilis and stir in
- If serving as a side, it's best to use shallow bowls so each serving
can have some sauce. If serving as a light main dish, accompany with
some steamed long grain rice.