Frog Legs (1)
Riesling wine (2)
Fish Stock (3)
Crème Fraîche (4)
Prep - (20 min - 10 min work)
Run - (45 min - alt 1 hr Note-5)
- Thaw FROG LEGS, separate into individual legs. Rinse in
several changes of water and drain well.
- Peel SHALLOTS and chop fine.
- Rinse WATERCRESS. Discard overly thick stems (larger than
1/4 inch). Blanch for 1 minute in boiling water, strain and refresh
with cold water. Wring out and chop coarse.
Finish - (8 min)
- In a sauté pan, melt Butter and fry Shallots
until translucent. Stir in Frog Legs and fry tumbling now and
then for 2 minutes without browning. Boil off any liquid the Frog
- Stir in Wine and Fish Stock. Bring to a simmer and
stir in Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper. Simmer
covered until Frog Legs are sufficiently done. This is when
they start becoming disjointed, 10 minutes or a little more.
- Remove frog legs and set them aside until cool enough to handle.
Remove all bones, tossing the bones back into the stock. Simmer stock
another 20 minutes or so (but see Note-5). Strain
and set aside.
- Cut the Frog meat into pieces 3/8 to 1/2 inch long and toss
with the Watercress until well distributed.
- When ready to serve - place a bowl over simmering water. Stir
together the Crème Fraîche, Butter cut
into bits and Egg Yolks. Whip with a wire whisk until it about
doubles in volume, then pour immediately into another bowl to stop
cooking - you'll need a rubber spatula for this. Keep warm.
- Bring the Soup Stock up hot, but not boiling. Gradually
stir in the Cream mix and whip it smooth with the wire whisk.
Finally, stir in the Frog - Watercress mix.
- Serve with crusty bread, a salad and Riesling wine or Beer.