Beef Kidneys (1)
Bouquet Garni (3)
Prep - (1-1/4 hrs)
Run - (2 hours)
- Remove fat and membranes from BEEF KIDNEYS. Soak in three
changes of salted water for about 1/2 hour total. Place kidneys in a
pot with plenty of water to cover and bring to a boil for a couple of
minutes. Drain and rinse well. Slice 1/4 inch thick.
- While the kidneys are soaking, render the fat (see
- Slice SHALLOTS, ONIONS and CARROTS thin.
- Melt 1 T of the Fat in a coverable sauté pan or
similar and stir in the Vegetable mix. Fry over moderate heat,
stirring until starting to color.
- Stir in Flour and fry stirring another minute or so.
- Sprinkle with the Salt and Pepper. Add the Bouquet
Garni. Place sliced Kidneys over the vegetables. Add
the Wine, bring to a simmer and simmer covered for about
- Remove the Kidneys (I use chopsticks for that) and keep warm.
Strain out all other solids, pressing well to save as much of the
liquid as possible. Discard the solids.
- Place the liquids in a Sauté pan. In a small bowl mix
Cream and Mustard, then stir into the liquid. Bring to
a simmer and reduce to the sauce consistency you want (it should be
- Stir Kidneys into the sauce just long enough to come up to
temperature. Serve garnished with Parsley.