Beef Cheeks (1)
Wine, dry red
Salt, Kosher (2)
Calf's Foot (3)
Tiny Onions (5)
Large Pasta (6)
Prep - (1 to 2 days - 20 min work)
Run - (5 hrs - 1 hr work)
- Trim BEEF CHEEKS as needed (weight given is after
- Chop ONIONS small. Dice CELERY small.
Crush GARLIC lightly.
- Mix all Marinade items and massage into beef. Package
in a non-reactive bowl or 2 mil polyethylene bag. Stash in the fridge
for at least 1 day, preferably 2 days. Turn now and then.
Meanwhile: - (45 min - 25 min work)
- Fish Beef Cheeks out of the marinade. Drain well, brush off
the solids and pat dry with paper towels. Keep all the marinade,
- Rub Beef Cheeks lightly with salt and pepper.
- In heavy bottomed non-reactive pot or Dutch oven that will hold at
least 4 quarts, melt Butter and fry Beef Cheeks in
batches until lightly browned, being careful not to burn the butter.
Remove and set aside as they are done (See Note-7).
- After all the Beef Cheeks are removed, add to the pot the reserved
marinade, the Beef Stock and Calf Foot. Bring to a
boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Tuck the Beef Cheeks into the pot. Cover tightly, bring to
a boil and simmer slowly until cheeks are tender (about 3-1/2 hours)
- or, see Note-8. Turn the cheeks over every 45
minutes or so.
Finish - (45 min - 20 min work)
- Cut Bacon into about 1/4 inch cubes and fry until almost
getting crisp. Drain and set aside (hold some of the fat).
- Stem Mushrooms and cut in half, or however is appropriate
for the kind of mushrooms you are using. Steam until just cooked
through. Mix with Bacon.
- Peel Carrots and cut into about 3/4 inch chunks. Steam until
tender. Mix with Mushrooms.
- Scald Onions in boiling water 1 minute, then quench in cold
water. Cut a little off the top and peel back the dry layers. Cut
as little as you can from the root end so they hold together. Steam
until just cooked through. Mix with Mushrooms.
- Cook Pasta the usual way until al dente - don't
overcook! Tumble with a few drops of the bacon fat and mix with the
- Fish out the Beef Cheeks and set aside.
- Strain the liquid through a fine strainer. Discard the solids
(well, not the calf feet, which are very tasty at this point. They
can be either set aside as a snack for the cook, or the recoverable
material can be cut from the bones and added to the cheeks.
- Defat the sauce using your gravy separator, then simmer it down
to the amount you will need (see Commentary).
- Cut Beef Cheeks as desired. Arrange with the
Pasta mix, cover with foil and warm it all back up in a
350°/175°C oven for about 15 minutes.
- Pour sauce over and serve hot.