Jar Sauerkraut (1)
Bacon, slab (3)
Juniper Berries (5)
Wine, white (7)
Mixed cured meats (8)
-- Serve with
||Prep - (45 min)
Run - (2 hrs or more)
- Drain SAUERKRAUT and wring it out. Soak a few minutes in two
changes of water. Drain well and wring out excess water
- Quarter ONIONS lengthwise, then slice medium crosswise.
- Peel CARROTS and cut into chunks about 3/4 inch long.
- Cut BACON into pieces about 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/2 inch.
- Cut MEATS as desired, or leave whole if you wish
(see Note-11). Mix all.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into chunks or as desired. Put in a
pot with plenty of lightly salted water, bring to a boil and simmer
until just cooked through. Cool and hold.
- Mix together all Broth items.
- In a large sauté pan or Dutch oven (you'll need 4-1/2 to
5 quart size), heat Oil and fry Bacon, stirring for a
couple minutes. Stir in Onions and fry stirring until
translucent but not browned.
- Stir in Sauerkraut and Broth mix, cover tightly and
simmer slowly for an 1 hour or more - but see
Note-10 for traditional method. Monitor liquid,
there should be enough for steaming the meats.
- Stir Carrots into the Sauerkraut, then place the
Meat Mix over the Sauerkraut. Simmer covered for another
45 minutes to an hour, monitoring the liquid. The Sauerkraut should
be very wet with some free liquid, but not swimming. Check salt -
need depends on your ingredients.
- When ready to serve, warm the Potatoes in boiling water or
however is convenient for you. Drain.
- On a heated platter, lay out Sauerkraut surrounded by
Potatoes and garnished with the Meats - or - see
- Serve with French Bread, Beer or Riesling wine, and