Chicken Meat (1)
Onions, tiny (2)
Prep - (20 min)
Run - (1-1/2 hrs)
- Cut CHICKEN into large bite-size pieces. If using bone-in,
cut into larger pieces.
- Clean MUSHROOMS and trim stems. Leave whole if small, cut in
half if medium and into quarters if large.
- Tie Parsley, Thyme and Bay Leaf together with
kitchen string (so they'll be easier to remove later).
- Bring plenty of water to a high boil and stir in the ONIONS
for 1 minute only, then chill them in cold water. Cut off just enough of
the stem end so you can peel the outer skin. Cut off the minimum
from the root end so the onions hold together well.
- Cut BACON into small pieces and fry it slowly in Butter
until the fat is translucent. Stir in the Onions and fry over
moderate heat, tumbling often until bacon is browned and all its fat
is rendered. Remove Onions and Bacon, leaving all the
- Fry Chicken in small batches until until lightly browned
all over, being careful not to burn the fond that forms in the pan.
Return any drained fat to the pan.
- Return all Chicken to the pan and sprinkle with Flour.
Fry over moderate heat, tumbling now and then until flour is straw
- Add White Wine and Stock. Crush GARLIC and add
to the pan. Bring to a boil and add Herbs and Pepper.
Taste for Salt (it will depend on how salty your bacon is).
Cover tightly and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes.
- Add Onions and Bacon to the pan, plus up to 1/2 cup
Stock if needed. Bring back to a simmer and simmer slowly
for another 15 minutes.
- Add Mushrooms to the pan and simmer covered for another 10
minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Stir in Mustard. Serve hot garnished with Parsley.