Tiny Onions (2)
Olives, black (3)
Rice flour (4)
Prep - (30 min)
Run - (1-1/4 hrs)
- Cut CHICKEN into largish bite-size pieces. If using whole bone-in
joints, cut the large ones into two pieces. A razor sharp Chinese cleaver
knife and soft faced mallet are perfect for this.
- Boil up plenty of water and scald the TOMATOES for 1 minute, then
refresh in cold water. Pour the ONIONS into the same boiling water
for 1 minute, then refresh in cold water.
- Peel Tomatoes and cut into about 3/4 inch cubes.
- Cut tips from Onions, peel down the skins and cut off as little
of the root end as possible so they hold together well.
- Peel GARLIC and crush lightly but leave whole.
- Pit OLIVES and cut in half crosswise.
- Squeeze Lemon Juice.
- Lightly powder the Chicken pieces with Rice Flour
(emphasis on "lightly"). In a heavy iron skillet heat Olive Oil
(Pure or Pomace, not Virgin) and fry chicken until lightly browned all
over. Fry in batches for quick
browning, add extra oil if needed and drain on paper towels.
- Fry peeled Onions until spotted brown.
- Move Chicken and Onions to a stew pot. Mix in
All Seasoning items, Tomatoes, Garlic and
- Pour off any excess oil and use the White Wine to deglaze the
skillet. Pour wine into the stew pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for
about 3/4 hour or until chicken is tender, turning occasionally.
- Fish out Herbs and Garlic. Stir in Olives and
simmer a couple of minutes, then stir in Lemon Juice and take
off the heat.
- Serve with rice or French bread.