Bacon -or- (4)
Caraway seed (opt)
Stock -or- (5)
Prep - (20 min)
Run - (1-1/4 hr)
- Drain SAUERKRAUT, but not too well. If strands are long and
tangled, place it on the cutting board and make a few slices through it
at right angles.
- Peel APPLES, core, slice about 1/8 inch thick crosswise and chop
medium. Keep in a bowl of cold water acidulated with a little citric
acid or lemon juice until needed.
- Peel ONION and chop small.
- Grate POTATO, and keep in cold water until needed (no acid).
- Chop BACON small.
- In a non-reactive dutch oven or saucepan fry Bacon over very low
heat until it renders its fat and becomes fairly crisp. Remove
the bacon and set aside, leaving the fat -or- if using other
fats just heat them.
- Stir in Onions and Apples and fry stirring over moderate
heat until onions are light golden.
- Stir in Sauerkraut and Stock.
Stir in Juniper Berries and/or Caraway Seeds if using.
Cover, bring to a boil and turn down to a slow simmer. Cooking time will
depend on how tender you want your sauerkraut: 3/4 hr to 1-3/4 hr (see
Note-4. Keep a watch on the pot and add liquid if
- For the last 20 minutes: drain Potato and stir in. Keep watch on
the pot to make sure the liquid isn't over thickened - you will probably
have to add some water.
- Adjust to suit. Add salt if needed (probably not). If too tart, mix in
a little superfine sugar, but this also should not be necessary.
- If Bacon was used, stir it back in just before serving.
- Serve hot with beef, veal, meat dumplings or similar.