-- Cones --
Butter or Lard (2)
Prep - (8+ hrs - 5 min work)
Run - (45 min)
- Boil POTATOES in their skins until tender all the way
through. Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Strip skins from Potatoes and grate them.
- Get a pot of water boiling for immediate cooking of the dumplings.
- Mix Potatoes with Salt, Semolina and
Flour until evenly blended.
- Form Potatoes into a mound with a well in the center.
Pour in Eggs (without shells) and Vinegar. Work into a stiff
dough. Don't let it sit too long or it may become sticky and watery.
If already sticky, work in a little more flour.
- Form Dough into cylinders about 2 inches in diameter and 4
or 5 inches long. Get them into the boiling water, making sure they
don't stick to the bottom of the pot, keep them at a medium boil
until cooked through, about 25 minutes. This will be a little while
yet after they float to the surface. Cut one in half to verify
- Slice Dumplings and serve dressed as desired. For soups
or stews you can cut the slices in quarters, or even smaller.
-- Cones -- - (45 min)
These are finished "Polish Style" in butter browned bread crumbs,
and they are delicious.
- Make one recipe Dumpling Dough (uncooked).
- Form Dough into cones about 1 inch diameter and 2 inches
long. As soon as all are formed, get them into boiling water for
about 5 minutes or until done through. Drain.
- Melt Lard or Butter. Fry Bread Crumbs until
lightly browned. Stir in cones until coated with Bread Crumbs and
heated through. I do this in a large electric skillet, which gives
me the best temperature control.
- Serve warm. For buffet, I serve these in a smaller electric skillet
set to "warm".