Celery Root (3)
-- Serve with
Prep - (20 min)
Run - (1-1/4 hrs)
- Trim LEEKS so only the white and yellow remain (a little green
is OK). Quarter them lengthwise from just above the roots, spread leaves
and wash thoroughly. Slice crosswise into slices about 1/2 inch wide
(start at the leaf end and work toward the root).
- Peel POTATOES and cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Keep submerged in
cold water until needed.
- Cut ONION in half lengthwise, slice about 1/4 inch wide
crosswise and chop medium. Peel CELERY ROOT and cut into 1/4
inch dice. Cut CARROTS into 3/4 inch dice. Mix all.
- Cut BACON into 1/4 inch dice.
- Heat Oil and fry Bacon, reducing heat as it frys, until
the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted
spoon, drain on paper towels and resist eating it (maybe start with a
little extra for "test samples").
- Pour out Oil into a bowl. Measure 3 T back into the pan.
- Fry Onion mix stirring over moderate flame until onions are
- Drain Potatoes and put in a pot along with Beef Stock
and Onions. Arrange Sausages on top. Bring to a boil,
cover and turn down to a gentle simmer for about 30 minutes until
potatoes are tender.
- Remove Sausages and slice about 3/16 inch thick. Return to the
- Stir in Leeks, Salt and Pepper. Bring back to a
boil and simmer another 10 to 15 minutes until leeks are just crisp
- Chop PARSLEY medium.
- When about ready to serve, taste for salt and stir in Parsley
- Serve with plenty of crusty Bread.