Celery Root (2)
Make - (3 hrs, 30 min work)
- Slice BEEF about 1/2 inch thick and and cut into chunks of
the desired size, smaller for soup, larger for stew. Split the
Beef Bones if needed.
- Place Water and Salt in your soup pot and bring it to
a boil over high heat. Stir in Beef and Bones. Bring back
to a boil and as it comes to a boil skim the surface until no more crud
- Crush GARLIC lightly and stick ONION with Cloves
(theoretically to make the cloves easier to retrieve, but it doesn't
actually work). Add both to the pot along with Bay Leaf and set
to a slow simmer. Simmer until Beef is tender, about 2 hours for
shoulder, up to 2-1/2 for round.
- Strain out the solids. Discard Onion, Bay Leaf and cloves (if you can
find them). De-fat the stock as needed (if your bones had much marrow
you need to, it's mostly fat). Use your gravy separator for this.
- While beef is cooking: core CABBAGE and cut lengthwise into
wedges about 1-1/2 inches wide. Slice crosswise about 1/2 inches wide.
- Trim outer leaves of LEEK leaving only white and yellow. Split
lengthwise, rinse out mud and cut into 1 inch lengths. Add to Cabbage.
- Peel CARROTS and cut into convenient size chunks.
Peel CELERY ROOT and cut into convenient size chunks, cutting
away any woody parts. Add both to Cabbage.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into chunks as desired - about 3/4 inch
for soup, 1 inch or so for stew. Hold in cold water until needed.
- Return Stock to the pot. Stir in Cabbage mix and
drained Potatoes. Bring back to a boil and simmer slowly until
Potatoes are done, about 30 minutes.
- Return Beef to the pot and bring up hot.
- Serve hot.