Green Beans (opt)
Lard or Butter (3)
Parsley or Dill
Beef & Broth (1 to 3 Days Before) -
(6-1/2 hrs, 30 min work)
Soup Day Prep (or afternoon before) -
(55 min, 45 min work)
- Cut BEEF into large chunks, leaving fat on. In an 8 quart
pot, place Beef and Beef Bones with water to cover.
Bring to a rolling boil for 3 minutes or so, then pour it all out
into the sink. Clean the pot and rinse all the scum off the Beef and
Bones. Cool the beef and refrigerate.
- Place Bones back into the pot with plenty of Water
to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer about 4 hours.
- Return Beef to the pot, adding Water as needed. Bring
back to a boil and simmer until Beef is tender, 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 hours
depending on cut and size of pieces.
- Cool the Beef and strip off excess fat. You should
have about 2 pounds. Refrigerate. It should be very cold before
- Strain the Broth, discarding the bones. Defat using your
gravy separator. Boil it down a bit if too much - you need 8 cups.
Put in jars, cool well and refrigerate until needed.
Assemble & Finish - (20 min)
- Rinse BARLEY and place in a pot with 3 c of the
Beef Broth and 1/2 cup Water. Bring to a boil and
simmer slowly until barley is tender, 45 min to 1 hr.
- Meanwhile: Chop ONION small.
- Dice CARROTS and CELERY about 3/8 inch. Peel
POTATOES and dice about 5/8 inch. Mix all.
- Cut MUSHROOMS in half and slice about 1/8 inch thick.
- Dice BEEF about 5/8 inch or smaller - or as desired.
- Tip and tail GREEN BEANS (if using). Cut into about 3/4 inch
lengths. Par boil in boiling salted Water until just tender.
Refresh under cold running water and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt Lard. Stir in Onion and fry
stirring until translucent. Stir in Carrot mix and simmer over
low heat, stirring now and then, until Potatoes are tender. Stir in
Mushrooms simmer another 4 minutes or so.
- At this point you can refrigerate everything for the next day if
you wish (The Beef and Broth should already be in the fridge).
- Chop Parsley or Dill for garnish.
- In a 5 quart pot, bring 5 c Beef Broth to a boil. Stir in
Beef, Vegetable mix, Barley, Thyme,
Salt, and Pepper. Bring back to a simmer for 5 minutes
or so. Adjust with boiling water if too thick (it probably will be).
- Stir in Green Beans (if used).
- In a bowl, mix Sour Cream with some of the broth, then stir
into the soup.
- Serve hot garnished with Parsley or Dill.