Beef bones (2)
Celery & leaves
- You'll need at least an 8-quart pot for this recipe.
- Crack the BEEF BONES into pieces if you haven't had the supplier
saw them up (Note-2).
- Trim the BEEF of as much fat as you can.
- Blanch and rinse both Beef and Beef Bones so your stock
will be clear. To do this put them into a pot with plenty of water to
cover (together or separately), bring to a rolling boil for 3 minutes,
then pour out the water and rinse any remaining scum off the meat and
bones. Clean the pot.
- Put the Beef Bones only into a pot with 4 quarts (16 cups) of
fresh cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for at least 2 hours.
Meanwhile, chill the beef with cold water and refrigerate until needed.
- Slice ONION thickly crosswise, chop TURNIP coarse, chop
CARROTS into 1/4 inch rounds. Carefully clean LEEKS
discarding green parts. Slice white and yellow parts about 1/4 inch thick.
- Add Beef to the pot as a single lump. Add Vegetable Mix,
Peppercorns and Bay Leaves. Simmer until meat is tender
(1-1/2 to 2 hours).
- Pull Beef and cool. When cold it can be sliced and eaten with
horseradish, mustard or cucumber sauces, fried with onions and served
with sauce, used in sandwiches or diced for soups.
- Strain out and discard all solids from the stock and de-fat.
(Note-3). Jar and refrigerate for about 5 days or
freeze for 6 months or more.