Smoked Sausage (1)
-- Pickle (2)
Make - (5+ days - 30 min work)
- IF your SAUSAGES have thick or artificial casings, strip
- Cut the Sausages as needed to fit in the jar you are using,
but not too short. Make a lengthwise cut about 2/3 way through the
- Spread Mustard in the cut - not too much.
- Cut ONION lengthwise into long, very thin slices. Pack a
few strips into the cut on each sausage piece. They go in easiest
with the ends pointing down.
- Cover the bottom of a sterile jar with the remaining Onion
slices. Pack the sausage pieces into the jar, fairly tightly.
Put remaining Onion slices on top.
- Mix all Pickle items and bring to a simmer in a non-reactive
pan. Simmer slowly for about 5 minutes.
- Let Pickle cool just a few degrees and pour over the
Sausages until the jar is full. As you go, spoon the spices
into the jar. If you have excess pickle, keep it to replenish the
jar when you pull the first sausage for testing (bring it back to
a boil first).
- Keep in a cool place or in the refrigerator - depending on your
water to vinegar ratio. They should be OK to eat in about 5 days
(again, depending on your vinegar ratio) but 7 days is better and
14 days is considered best. Even with a high vinegar ratio I'd
refrigerate after 7 days, but with low vinegar you need to
refrigerate from the start.
- Serve with Czech beer.