Squid small (1)
-- Fish Broth
Frying Pepper (4)
Saffron Threads (5)
Rice, short (6)
White Wine, dry
Prep - (1 hrs 45 min - 1 hr 40 min work)
Run - (50 min)
- Clean SQUID, peel skins and cut into about 3/4 inch squares.
include tentacles cut free from their base. See Note-1
- Shell SHRIMP (reserving the shells for the broth). De-vein
and cut into thirds if medium, halves if small and quarters if very
- Clean your FISH and fillet it. Use the fillets for some other
- Slice Tomato thick. Mix all Broth Items with Fish
heads, bones and fins. Bring to a low simmer for about 40 minutes.
Strain and de-fat (use your gravy separator). You want to end up with
3-1/2 cups, so add boiled water to make up the difference, or simmer
down as needed.
- In a mortar or mini-prep processor, mash 3 cl GARLIC with
the Saffron Threads. If using the mini-prep you can add 1/4
cup of the Broth to make that possible.
- Scald TOMATO 1 minute in boiling water. Quench in cold
water, peel, core and chop small.
- Crush 5 cl GARLIC and chop fine.
- In a spacious sauté pan (see Note-8)
heat Olive Oil over rather mild flame. Stir in Rice
(Do Not rinse the Rice). Fry stirring constantly until
rice is a light golden color.
- Stir in Squid and Shrimp, the 5 cl Garlic,
Tomato and Paprika. Fry stirring constantly until liquid
has evaporated and it is back to frying (you'll start getting a little
fond sticking to the pan).
- Stir in 3-1/2 cups Broth (3-1/4 if 1/4 cup was used for the
Saffron mix), the Wine and the Saffron mix. Bring to
a boil and cook stirring over moderate heat until the rice is no
longer soupy, but there is plenty of water left. Salt to taste.
- Here you may choose a method. My Method is to cover
tightly and turn to a bare simmer for 10 minutes. You may uncover
once at 8 minutes to check and stir, recovering immediately.
Turn off the heat at 10 minutes and let the rice rest for 10 minutes
without lifting the lid. Spanish Method is to place
uncovered in an oven preheated to 375°F/190°C for 10 minutes.
If all is just right you'll get tender rice with a slightly crispy top.
Pull out, cover tightly with foil and let rest 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.