Chicken Meat (1)
Boiling Onions (2)
White Wine, dry
Eggs, hard boiled
Olive Oil (3)
Prep - (45 min)
Prepare Sauce - (25 min)
- Cut CHICKEN into large bite size pieces, about 2 inches
is good. Tumble them well with the Salt and Pepper
- Chop 6 oz ONION fine.
- Scald BOILING ONIONS 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water. Trim a little off the tip and peel. Trim the root end minimally,
so it holds the onions together.
- Peel CARROTS and cut into 1/2 to 1 inch long rounds,
depending on size.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into 3/4 inch chunks. Hold in cold
water until needed.
Run - (50 min)
- Boil and peel EGGS (Best
Method). Separate Yolks from Whites. Crush Yolks lightly. Chop
Whites small for Garnish and set aside.
- Soak SAFFRON in 1 T warm water for 15 minutes.
- Peel GARLIC, crush and chop fine.
- Run ALMONDS in a mini-prep processor or similar until as
finely ground as they will get. Add chopped Garlic,
Egg Yolks and Saffron (with its water). Grind together
as best you can, scraping down the sides often.
- In a sauté pan or skillet, heat Olive Oil and
fry Chicken over moderately high heat, tumbling until lightly
browned. Be careful any fond that adheres to the pan does not burn.
Remove to the Stew Pot or Dutch Oven, leaving Oil behind.
- Add Onions, Carrots and Potatoes to the Stew
Pot. Arrange all contents neatly.
- Stir Wine into the frying pan and bring to a simmer, scraping
up all the fond. Pour in with the Chicken.
- Add Stock to the Pot, along with Salt, Pepper
Cinnamon and Bay Leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer
slowly until Chicken is tender, about 30 minutes (45 min or more
for whole joints).
- Strain out solids and set aside, returning all the liquid to the
- Stir enough liquid from the pot into the Sauce to make
a fairly thin paste. Whisk the paste into the pot. Bring to a
slow boil and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes, covered or
uncovered as needed to adjust consistency - this sauce should be
quite liquid, or it will seize up when off the heat.
- Stir the Chicken and Vegetables back into the
sauce until well heated.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped Egg Whites and/or