Winter Melon (1)
Black Mushrooms, dry
Water, incl mushroom
Sesame Oil dark
- Soak MUSHROOMS in a cup of warm water for about 1/2 hour, then
squeeze them out, keeping soaking liquid and slice into 1/4 in
- Peel WINTER MELON with a vegetable peeler, just enough to
remove the hard green. Cut it into 1/2 in cubes (not larger).
- Cut PORK into 1/2 in cubes, removing any remaining fat. Put
in a pot with plenty of water and bring to a rolling boil for 1
minute. Dump out into the sink, wash the pot and rinse all sludge off
- Slice GINGER thin and cut into narrow matchsticks.
- Prepare GARNISH, as many listed items as you have. Slice
Scallions very thin on a diagonal, separate Cilantro leaves. Set out
Sesame Oil some way so you can dispense just a few drops into each
bowl. Keep bean sprouts fresh and crisp.
- Put Mushroom soaking liquid and enough more water to make up
6 cups in a pot. Add Mushrooms, Pork, Ginger and
Salt. Bring to a simmer and simmer covered until pork is tender
(20 minutes to 1-1/2 hours depending on cut - longest for ribs).
- Add Winter Melon and continue to simmer until melon is just
cooked through (about 15 minutes - it will become translucent and settle
deeper in the water).
- Ladle into serving bowels. Stir just a few drops of Sesame Oil
into each bowl and add a dash of each garnish (don't overdo it). Serve