Fish Fillets (1)
Bamboo Shoot (3)
Chinese Ham (4)
Black Vinegar (5)
Prep Fish - (45 min - 15 min work)
General Prep - (20 min)
- Grate GINGER and wring out in a cloth to produce 1 T
Ginger Juice. Mix with 1/2 t Salt.
- Set up your steamer rig (see
Photo Gallery) and place FISH FILLETS on a rimmed
plate in a single layer. Set plate in the steamer and spread
Ginger Juice mix over the fish. Bring steamer to a boil
uncovered (to minimize condensaton in the plate), then cover it and
steam Fish until it flakes easily, 6 to 12 minutes depending on
fish. Discard liquids and let fish cool.
- When cool enough to handle, flake Fish, not too small.
Run - (30 min)
- Cut stems from SHIITAKES. Slice caps horizontally, one or
two cuts depending on thickness. Cut the slices into narrow
- Slice BAMBOO SHOOTS similarly thin and into narrow
matchsticks short enough to fit in a soup spoon. Mix with
- Cut HAM into similar matchsticks. Keep separate.
- Slice GINGER very thin crosswise and cut into narrow
matchsticks short enough to fit in a soup spoon.
- Mix Thickener items.
- Chop CILANTRO for Garnish.
- Separate EGGS and beat the WHITES lightly. Use the
Yolks for something else.
- Bring Stock to a boil. Keep hot.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan (5 quart is good), heat Oil
and fry Ginger, stirring until aromatic. Stir in Shiitake
mix and fry stirring over moderate heat until Shiitake
matchsticks are softened.
- Pour in hot Stock. Bring to a simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in Ham and Fish Flakes. Bring back to a simmer
for about a minute.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Beat the Egg Whites a little
more, then pour through a wire sieve all over the surface of the
soup. Do not stir, just let the whites solidify.
- Move the pot back onto the heat and bring back to a simmer for
a minute. Gently stir in the Black Vinegar mix. Stir
gently until the soup thickens.
- Check for Salt - for unsalted stock, about 1 t. If you
used water and Fish Sauce for the Stock, about 1/2 t.
- Serve hot, garnished with Cilantro.