Rice Wine (1)
Ong Choy (2)
Shrimp paste (3)
Prep - (1 hr - 30 min work)
RUN - (20 min)
- Slice PORK into 1/8 inch thick strips about 2" long by
1/2 inch wide.
- Mix all Marinade items, massage into pork and let marinate
for at least 45 minutes, or 2 hours refrigerated.
- Pinch Leaves from ONG CHOY stems, leaving the leaf stems
attached to the main stems. Discard any stem pieces more than 1/4 inch
diameter and cut all stems, including leaf stems, into lengths of
about 1-1/2 inch. Keep separate from the leaves.
- Peel ONION and cut in half lengthwise, then slice thin
- Crush GARLIC and chop fine.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, quench in cold
water, peel and cut into medium dice.
- Heat Oil very hot in a wok (you'll need the space) and sir in
Pork. Fry stirring until pork loses its raw color and starts to
brown, being careful not to burn the fond that sticks to the wok.
Remove and set aside in a strainer to drain excess oil.
- Add more Oil if needed and fry Onion over moderate heat
until almost translucent, then stir in Garlic and fry stirring a
bit longer being careful not to burn the fond adhering to the pan.
- Stir in Ong Choy Stems and Tomato, then Stock.
Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until Ong Choy stems are tender
(about 4 minutes - the biggest ones should remain a bit crisp).
- Stir in the Ong Choy Leaves and after they have wilted
thoroughly (about 2 minutes) stir the Pork back in. Simmer
covered, stirring occasionally until pork is well incorporated and hot.
- Stir in Shrimp Paste. Adjust liquid (not too dry if it's going
with rice) and Salt to taste (if any is needed).
- Serve hot with plenty of steamed Jasmine rice.