Prep - (45 min)
Run - (1-1/4 hr)
- Cut off the stem end of EGGPLANT at a point where the
diameter is about 3-1/2 inches. Keep the stem end. Take a small knife
and cut a ring around the top end leaving about 3/4 inch all around.
Hollow out the eggplant leaving about 3/4 inch walls throughout. A sharp
butter curler is the perfect tool for this job. Put the scooped out
pieces in a bowl with water acidulated with some citric acid or lemon
juice and a little salt to keep it from browning. You may need some for
this recipe and the rest can be used for something else
(Note-1). Rinse out the eggplant shell with the
acidulated water to keep it from browning too.
- Soak MUSHROOMS in hot water for about 30 minutes. Squeeze
out, stem, and slice into very thin strips, then slice crosswise
into little bits.
- Chop PORK quite small. Chop SCALLIONS small.
Slice GINGER very thin, then chop fine.
- Thoroughly mix all Stuffing items.
- Stuff the Eggplant with the Pork Mixture. If it isn't
completely full (packed medium) pour it out and mix with some of the
scooped out eggplant chopped small. Re-attach the stem end using
- Place Eggplant on a heatproof plate and steam tightly covered
over boiling water until the center reaches at least
165°F/73°C. This will take between 45 minutes and an hour,
depending on size of eggplant and efficiency of your steamer.
- Slice the Eggplant crosswise about 1 inch thick and serve.