Beef, lean (1)
Sichuan Pepper (2)
Chili Bean Paste (3)
Soy Sauce, light
Run (20 min)
- Remove excess fat from BEEF and slice thin across the grain,
then slice into narrow slivers up to 2-1/2 inches long.
- Run a vegetable peeler down the edges of CELERY STALKS, to
remove the outermost fibers. Cut into 2 inch lengths, then lengthwise
into sticks about 1/4 inch wide. Sprinkle with about 1/4 t salt and
tumble to draw out some of the water. Let sit for 10 minutes, then
rinse and drain well.
- Slice GINGER very thin, then cut slices into narrow slivers.
Cut SCALLIONS, white part only, into 2 inch lengths, then quarter
them lengthwise and and mix with ginger.
- Dry fry Sichuan Peppercorns until fragrant, then grind fairly
- Heat Oil to the smoke point in a wok or sauté pan.
Stir in the Beef and fry stirring over highest heat until
water is all gone and oil becomes clear again. When nearly done,
pour the Rice Wine around the beef and stir in.
- Push beef up the sides of the pan leaving a pool of oil in the
center. Pour Chili Bean Sauce into the oil pool and stir until
fragrant. Stir in the Ginger mix for a few seconds, then stir
the beef back down into the mix.
- Stir in the Soy Sauce and then the Celery. Fry stirring
until the celery is crisp tender - err on the crisp side.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the Sesame Oil and
- Serve hot or as a cold beef salad.