White Sauce (1)
Chicken, cooked (3)
Tongue, cooked (4)
Cheddar Cheese (3)
Prep - (1-1/2 hr)
Run - (1-1/3 hr)
- Cook CHICKEN and TONGUE as needed (see notes).
- Make your WHITE SAUCE as set out in our recipe
White Sauce - Béchamel Sauce or
- Cook MACARONI in plenty of salted boiling water until just
done. Don't overcook. If you have to hold at all, stir in a few drops
of Olive Oil to keep it from sticking together.
- With White Sauce just below a simmer, stir in Cream,
then stir into Macaroni.
- Quarter ONION lengthwise and slice thin.
- Slice MUSHROOMS thin.
- Cut Chicken into about 1/2 inch dice, or tear into shreds if
desired. Dice Tongue and Ham very small. Shell
SHRIMP, de-vein as needed and cut into several pieces each.
- Grate CHEDDAR on the large side of your grater.
- Grate PARMESAN fine.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In a sauté pan, heat Butter and fry Onions until
translucent but no browning. Stir in Mushrooms and fry gently
another 5 minutes or until very limp.
- Grease a casserole of sufficient size to hold the entire recipe, which
will be 3 quarts. The photo specimen was made in a 13x9x2 inch baking
dish. Arrange 1/2 the Chicken mix on the bottom. Spread over it
1/2 the Onion mix, then 1/2 the Pasta mix and finally
1/2 the Cheddar. Repeat with the other half. Note: if your 3 quart
casserole is smaller but much deeper make it 3 layers.
- Place Casserole in a deep pan and fill the pan with water half
way up the sides of the casserole. Slip into the oven and bake for about
- Pull from the oven. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan and dot with
Butter. Put back in the oven (without the water bath) for another
10 minutes, or however long it takes to get the amount of browning you
- Serve hot (see Note-6).