-- Serve With
Prep - (40 min)
Run - (1-3/4+ hr, depending)
- Cut BACON, if rashers, to half width and about 2 inches long.
If ends and pieces, about 1/8 inch thick by whatever works.
- Quarter ONIONS lengthwise and slice medium crosswise.
- Peel CARROTS. Cut into lengths of 1 to 1-1/2 inches.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into largish chunks, 1 to 1-1/2 inches
on a side. Hold in cold water until needed.
- Chop PARSLEY small.
- put about 1/16th inch of Water in a heavy skillet and stir in
Bacon. Fry stirring over moderate heat until water has
evaporated and until the first hint of becoming crisp. Drain bacon
well, holding the fat aside.
- With about 1 Tablespoon of the bacon fat in the skillet, fry the
onions, stirring until they are translucent. Remove from the
- Pierce Sausages all over with a fork (if you know they
will exude fat, some sausages exude none). Place them in the skillet
with about 1/4 inch of Water. Bring to a boil and hold at a light
boil, tumbling the sausages now and then until the water has
evaporated and the Sausages start to fry. If needed, add some of the
bacon fat. Fry until lightly browned all over. Remove from the pan,
cut them into lengths between 1 and 1-1/2 inches or as desired
(some recipes leave them whole, but that would be disastrous for
- Drain Potatoes. Place All Ingredients in a suitable
stew pot (for stovetop) or in a heavy Dutch oven (for oven). Bring
to a boil and cover tightly. Simmer very slowly until potatoes are
quite tender (20 to 30 minutes on stovetop) or in the oven
- Serve with Irish soda bread and Guinness.