Slab Bacon (2)
-- Serve with
Prep - (1 hr)
Run - (4-1/2 hrs)
- Trim the BEEF of excess fat and cut into pieces about 1 inch
on a side. Cut BACON into pieces about 1/2 inch on a side. Mix.
- Cut ONIONS into chunks about 3/4 inch on a side. Peel
CARROTS and cut into pieces 3/4 to 1 inch long depending on
size. Peel PARSNIPS, split the big end and and cut similarly
to the Carrots. Peel RUTABAGA and cut into cubes about 3/4 inch
on a side. Mix all.
- Trim CELERY and cut into 1/3 inch lengths.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into about 3/4 inch cubes. Hold in cold
water until needed.
- Chop CABBAGE coarsely.
- Tie Thyme Sprigs together to make removal easier.
- Prepare and clean LEEKS (see our
Leeks page), slice very thin
and chop moderately fine. Chop PARSLEY small. Mix for Garnish.
- In a large heavy bottomed Dutch oven or similar (I use a 5-1/2 quart
sauté pan which just fits this recipe), melt the Bacon
Fat. Fry the Beef mix, stirring often until lightly
browned. Remove from the pan.
- Stir in the Root mix. Fry, stirring often, until lightly
- Stir in Celery and fry stirring another couple of minutes.
- Dump Beef mix back into the pot and pour in Water.
Add Thyme, Bay Leaves and Pepper. Bring to a
simmer, and simmer slowly for about 3-1/2 hours.
- Stir in Potatoes, bring back to a simmer and simmer another
- Check for Salt and stir in however much you feel is needed
- Stir in Cabbage and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, with some of the Leek mix sprinkled on top. See