Beef Tripe (1)
Lemon juice, or (2)
Chorizo, Colombian (3)
Rice, white (6)
Aji Picante (7)
Do Ahead - (3/4 to 3 hrs depending - 20
Prep - (40 min)
- Par Boil (3 minutes) and rinse TRIPE twice with a little
Lemon Juice or Citric Acid and salt. Clean the pot, return the
Tripe, bring to a boil and simmer until tender but still
with some chewyness. Careful: cooking time can
vary considerably with type and pre-processing - see our
Beef Tripe page. Drain, cool
and cut into pieces, 3/4 inch or so.
Run - (1 -1/3 hr)
- Cut PORK into cubes abut 3/4 inch.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water and quench in
cold water. Peel and cut into 3/4 inch dice.
- Chop ONION and SCALLIONS small. Crush GARLIC
and chop fine. Mix all.
- Peel POTATOES and YUCCA and cut into about 3/4
inch cubes. Hold both in cold water until needed.
- Chop CILANTRO small.
- Grind together CUMIN and ACHIOTE in your spice
- When ready to start cooking, prepare Accompaniment items.
Cut AVOCADO and BANANA into pieces somewhat larger
than the items in the soup, but thinner.
- In a large sauce pan or similar heat Oil. Stir in
Onion mix until onions are translucent. Stir in Pork
and fry stirring until it has completely lost its raw color.
- Stir in Tomatoes. Continue to fry stirring until Tomato is
- Stir in Tripe, Chorizos, Cumin mix and
Water. bring to a boil, cover and turn to a simmer for 30
- Drain Potato mix and stir in along with Salt and
Pepper. Bring back to a boil and simmer covered another 25
minutes until or until Potatoes are tender.
- Stir in Cilantro and serve hot. Place Accompaniments
on the table to be applied as diners desire.