Beef, lean (1)
Beef Shank (2)
Ham, uncooked (4)
Sausages, smoked (5)
Pork, smoked (6)
Winter Squash (7)
Sweet Potato (9)
Plantain, ripe (10)
Corn on Cob (11)
This recipe is sized to fill an 8 quart pot.
Prep - (6 hrs - 1-1/4 hrs work)
- Trim BEEF of all fat and membranes (do not discard). Cut into
cubes about 1-1/2 inches to a side.
- In a large iron skillet, fry SHANK SLICES in a little oil until
medium browned on both sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Do the same with the Beef Cubes, remove, drain and set aside.
- Bring plenty of water to a boil. Toss in Beef Trimmings and any
bones you may have. Bring back to a boil for a couple minutes and pour
out into the sink. Clean the pot, rinse the trimmings, put back in the
pot with plenty of cold water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat
and simmer for an hour or two.
- Add Beef Shanks, bring back to a boil. Turn down the heat and
simmer slowly for about 3 hours (see Note-3)
- Fish out the Shanks and remove the meat from the bones. Break
the meat into serving chunks and set aside. If you have time, toss
the bones, tendons and membranes back into the pot and simmer another
couple of hours.
RUN - (2-1/4 hrs)
- Cut the HAM into dice about 1/2 inch on a side. Peel
SAUSAGES and cut into chunks of the size you want. Cut
SMOKED PORK into strips about 1 inch long by 1/2 x 1/4 inch.
- Chop ONIONS coarse.
- Peel CARROTS and cut into chunks about 1 inch long.
- Peel CHAYOTE and cut into about 3/4 inch chunks. Peel and seed
WINTER SQUASH.and cut into chunks about 1 inch on a side.
- Stem COLLARDS and tear leaves into convenient to eat pieces.
- Core CABBAGE and cut into convenient chunks.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into chunks of the desired size. Peel
SWEET POTATO and chunk similarly. Hold both in cold water until
- Cut CORN into chunks. I usually cut to 1-1/2 inches long, then
split in half. Use a razor sharp santoku or Chinese cleaver knife and
drive it through with a soft faced mallet, crosswise first.
- Peel PLANTAINS. Cut in half lengthwise and crosswise about 3/4
- Strain all solids from the Stock and discard. De-fat the stock
(use your gravy separator).
- Clean the pot and return the stock to it. There should be 12 cups, add
water if needed. Stir in Fried Beef, bring to a boil and simmer
for 1 hour.
- Stir in Sausages, Smoked Pork, Onions,
Carrots, Collards, Cabbage, Salt and
Pepper. Bring back to a boil and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Stir in Potato mix and Squash Mix. Bring back to a boil
and simmer until potatoes are done, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in Plantain and Corn. Bring back to a boil. If
stew is too thick add boiling water to suit.
- Serve hot.