White Wine, dry
-- Aromatic mix
Prep - (5 hrs - 45 min work)
Run - (1 hr)
- Wash TONGUE well, first in cold water, then in warm water.
- Put Tongue in a pot with water to cover well (it'll swell up).
Bring to a boil and simmer until done, about 1 hour for every pound the
tongue weighs. Test with a sharp skewer, it should feel the same
resistance all the way through the thickest part.
- Fish Tongue out of the pot and cool in it running water just
enough so you can handle it, then peel off the skin (much easier when
still hot). Return it to the pot to cool in the broth.
- Slice MUSHROOMS about 1/8 inch thick. Set to marinade in
White Wine until needed.
- Peel TOMATOES and chop fairly small.
- Chop ONIONS small.
- Crush GARLIC and chop small.
- Peel POTATOES and cut into 3/4 inch chunks. Cook in boiling
salted water until just done through.
- Peel CARROTS and slice 1/8 inch crosswise. Chop PARSLEY
small. Mix together with Bay Leaves, Salt and Pepper.
- When Tongue is cold, slice it about 1/4 inch thick and cut into
largish bite size pieces.
- Drain Mushrooms well, retaining the wine.
- In a spacious sauté pan heat Oil and fry Onions,
stirring over decreasing heat until medium brown. When nearly done, stir
in Garlic and continue to fry stirring until it takes some color.
- Stir in Tomatoes and Aromatic mix. Fry stirring
over moderate heat until Tomatoes are very soft and moisture is nearly
- Stir in Mushrooms, then Tongue until well mixed. Then
stir in Wine and Water. simmer covered about 20 minutes.
- Adjust liquid to your preference (see Note-2) and
stir in Potatoes. Bring back to a simmer until Potatoes are
- Serve hot with rice or bread.