Beef Short Ribs
Sage Leaf, fresh
Chili de Arbol (1)
PREP - (1 day +)
RUN - (3 hrs)
- Salt SHORT RIBS liberally and refrigerate for from 1 to three
- Cut ONIONS into quarters, cut CARROTS into 3/4 inch
- Peel GARLIC and crush lightly.
- Chop TOMATOES medium.
- Stem CHILIS and break in half. Dump out as many seeds as will
- Let Short Ribs come to room temperature, wipe dry, sprinkle
with Pepper, coat lightly with Flour and shake off
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat Oil in a large Dutch oven and fry Short Ribs in
batches over medium heat until lightly browned on all sides. Set aside.
- Add Onion mix to Oil and fry over moderate heat stirring often
until the vegetables start to caramelize, Stir in Garlic Cloves
and fry stirring for another minute.
- Stir in Tomatoes and then Short Ribs. Stir in
All Sauce Items. Bring back to a boil.
- Cover tightly and place in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven. Remove Short Ribs from the pot, brush
off any clinging debris and set aside. Strain the liquid through a fine
strainer, squeezing the vegetables to recover as much liquid as possible.
Send the debris out for compost.
- Clean the pot, defat Liquid using your gravy separator and
return it to the pot. Simmer the liquid with the lid off to thicken if
necessary, depending on what you intend to use it for.
- Return Short Ribs to the pot long enough to thoroughly reheat.
Serve them warm with a little of the liquid ladled over. Use the rest
of the liquid as sauce for roasted vegetables or other side dishes.