Clam meat (1)
Salt Pork (3)
Clam Juice (4)
Flour, opt. (5)
Half & Half
- Prepare CLAMS as appropriate for type - see
- Peel POTATOES and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Hold in cold
water until needed.
- Dice SALT PORK about 3/8 inch.
- Chop ONIONS and CELERY medium small. Crush
GARLIC and chop small. Crush CHILI lightly to split it
open. Mix all together with Bay Leaf.
- Put Potato dice in a pot along with the Clam Juice
and Thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are
soft. If not using russets crush a few cubes to thicken the soup.
- Place Butter and Salt Pork in a sauté pan and
fry gently until the pork renders and starts to become crisp. Stir in
Onion mix and continue to fry stirring until onions are
translucent and threatening to color.
- If using flour (see Note-6), stir it in and fry
stirring over gentle heat about 2 minutes, making sure it does not
brown at all. Then slowly whisk in some broth from the potatoes.
- Stir Onion mix into the pot with the Potatoes, then
stir in Clams and Half & Half. Adjust liquid with
stock or clam juice if needed and season with Salt and
Pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve immediately or cool quickly and refrigerate for future use.
Just bring back to a simmer when needed.