Fat or Oil (3)
Prep - (12 hrs - 1-1/4 hrs work)
Run - (4-3/4 hrs)
- Starting the day before serving, prepare your MUSKRAT as
described on our
- Cut Potatoes into about 1 inch chunks. Hold in cold water
- Peel ONIONS and chop small.
- Chop TOMATOES from a 28 oz can coarse. Add enough of their
juice to make up 2 cups.
- Drain CORN.
- Chop PARSLEY for Garnish.
- In a pot, set 5-1/2 cups Water to come to a boil while
frying the Muskrat.
- Mix Flour with Salt and Pepper. Roll
Muskrat in flour until lightly coated.
- In a spacious skillet or sauté pan, heat Fat or
Oil and fry Muskrat over moderate heat, tumbling now
and then until lightly browned all over. Be careful the crumbs of
flour do not burn, they should be reddish, not chocolate.
- Stir fried Muskrat, into the boiling water, leaving as
much oil behind as you can, but do include as much of the crumbs as
you can, as they will thicken the stew. Stir in the Onions,
Thyme and Cayenne. Bring to a simmer and simmer for
- Stir in Potatoes and Corn. Bring back to a boil
and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Stir in Tomatoes. Bring back to a boil and simmer another
45 minutes. Monitor thickness of the stew, keeping in mind it will
be a noticeably thicker when cooled below a simmer. Add boiling
water or boil uncovered as needed.
- Check seasoning and serve hot. See also