Blackeye Peas (1)
Ham Hocks (2)
Red Chili, dry
Rice, long grain (3)
-- Serve with
Southern Greens (4)
Corn Bread (5)
Prep - (8 hrs - 7 min work)
Run - (4-1/2 hrs)
- Soak BLACKEYES in water with 1/2 T Salt for 8 hours
or overnight. Yes, salt (see our
Soaking / Brining Beans page.
- Chop ONION small.
- In a saucepan, place HAM HOCK
and 4-1/2 cups Water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 to
3-1/2 hours, or until the bones can easily be removed.
- Remove the hock. Strip out the bones and discard. Dice the meat
fairly small. Place the Meat and Cooking Liquid into
a saucepan big enough for the whole recipe.
- Drain and rinse the Blackeyes. Add them to the pot along
with Onions and Chilis. Bring to a boil, turn the heat
down, cover tightly and simmer slowly until beans are tender but
not mushy, around 30 minutes.
- Now comes the tricky part. The amount of water I call for is
probably just a little short, because too little water can easily be
corrected, and too much is disaster. Bring some water to a boil as
you will probably need some. Stir in Rice, Salt and Pepper.
Bring to a boil, cover tightly and simmer over very low heat for
about 10 minutes. Check if it is too dry to completely cook the
rice. If so, add a little boiling water and stir. Cover tightly and
let simmer another 10 minutes, checking once more if you need to.
- Take off the heat, and, without lifting the lid, let rest for
- Check seasoning. Serve with Greens and Corn Bread.