Ox Tail (1)
- thin skinned
Prep - (20 min)
Run - (4 hrs)
- Joint OX TAILS if whole.
- Hard boil the EGGS, cool, peel and set aside.
- Chop ONION small.
- Scald TOMATOES 1 minute in boiling water, chill in cold
water, peel and dice small.
- Crush GARLIC and chop coarse. Chop LEMON fine, including
the peel. Crush Allspice lightly. Mix all, along with Cloves,
Thyme and Bay Leaf.
- Heat Olive Oil in a skillet and fry Ox Tails over
moderate heat tumbling until lightly browned on all sides. Remove from
the pan retaining all the oil.
- Add Butter to the oil and fry Onions stirring until
- Put Onions and Ox Tails in a pot. Add Stock,
Water and Garlic mix. Bring to a boil and simmer tightly
covered just until the meat separates easily from the bones, about 2-1/2
- Remove the oxtails and cool. Strain the soup and discard the solids.
Separate and discard the fat using your gravy separator. You could
clarify the soup here if you wanted to.
- When cool enough to handle the Ox Tails, pull all the meat
from the bones and discard the bones. Pull the meat into reasonably
uniform pieces discarding any large lumps of fat but keeping all
gelatinous connective tissue. Return to the defatted stock.
- Add Tomatoes including their juice and bring the soup
back to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile: chop PARSLEY course. Chop Eggs course.
- When ready to serve, bring back to a boil. Stir in Parsley and
Chopped Eggs and take off heat.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and add a teaspoon of Madeira to