White Beans dry
Salt (or tt)
Pepper (or tt)
Prep - (2 to 8 hrs - 25 min work)
Run - (2-1/2 hrs)
- Soak the BEANS 8 hours in water with 1/2 T salt (yes, salt)
- OR - put them in a pot with three cups of water and
1/2 T salt, bring to a boil, remove from the heat and let soak for
at least an hour (see our page
Soaking / Brining Dried Beans).
- Cut SAUSAGES into largish chunks.
- Cut TURKEY into pieces about the same size as the sausage
- Dice ONION and CARROT small. Crush GARLIC
and chop fine. Mix all.
- Cut enough bread into cubes to make one cup. Bake in oven at about
325°F/160°C just long enough to be firm but not browned.
- Preheat Oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Place the Sausage pieces In a sauté pan sufficient to
hold the entire recipe. Add 1/8 inch water and place on high heat.
When the water has boiled out it should have rendered enough fat to
fry the sausage pieces. Fry stirring until lightly browned all over.
Remove sausage and set aside leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the Onion mix to the pan and fry stirring until onions
are translucent but not starting to color. If your sausage didn't
produce enough fat to fry add a little olive oil.
- Pour in Diced Tomatoes, including their juice, and deglaze
the pan. Pour in the soaked Beans and enough Stock to
just come to the top of the beans. Season to taste with Salt
and Pepper and stir to mix thoroughly. Bring to a simmer.
- Place all Herbs items in the bottom of a coverable ovenproof
casserole. Pour the Bean Mix over and arrange the
Sausage Chunks on top. Adjust Stock level to just come
up to the top of the beans.
- Cover tightly and bake in the oven for 1-1/2 hours at 350°F.
- While the dish is baking prepare the topping. Run the bread cubes in
a small food processor or other device until reduced to crumbs. Crush
and chop one clove of GARLIC, chop PARSLEY, and and add
them to the crumbs. Process a moment to mix, then add 1/2 T
Olive Oil and process a few moments more to blend.
- Uncover the casserole and place the turkey chunks around among the
sausage chunks pressing them down a little into the beans. Check the
stock level and add more if required to bring it up nearly to the top
of the beans.
- Sprinkle the Crumb Mix evenly over the top of the casserole,
check that nothing sticks up too high and put it back in the oven,
uncovered. Bake at 350°F/175°C for another 1/2 hour when the
crust should be lightly browned and the dish bubbly.